How To Roll Over Your 401(k) While Living Abroad

Have you left a 401(k) in the U.S.? We can help you move your money from an old 401(k) to Worldview’s International IRA Program

Step 1

Contact Worldview to get your free 30 minute consultation

Contact one of our cross-border wealth specialists to initiate the international 401(k) rollover process. Simply call us at 1.800.237.9004 to get started.


Step 2

Opening your international IRA account

We will open an account at a third-party custodian in the U.S. (typically at Fidelity Investments). This will be where your funds will be invested utilizing our Global Growth Portfolios, which are specifically designed for international people like you.


Step 3

Transfer your 401(k) to your new international IRA account

Request a direct rollover from your old 401(k) plan. A Worldview rollover specialist can help you contact your former employer’s plan administrator, or you can contact the administrator on your own. Typically, your administrator can either wire the funds directly into your international IRA, or they may require that a check is mailed to you for further deposit. We’ll help walk you through this process.


Step 4

Choosing your investments

New clients of Worldview receive a complimentary retirement consultation to identify your risk tolerance and lifestyle goals in order to select the optimal portfolio for you.



Additionally, our advisors can help educate you about the unique tax and reporting requirements for international citizens with assets in the U.S. (old 401(k)s and IRAs, social security, real estate, etc.) and help you understand how these assets fit into your global retirement plan.


If you’ve been searching for someone who can help with your U.S. accounts, you’ve found them in Worldview.